Partner, Thelen Reid & Priest, and Chair, White Collar Criminal Defense Practice (2000-2007); Assistant United States Attorney, Criminal Division, United States Attorney’s Office, Central District of California (1986-1998), Assistant Division Chief, Public Corruption and Government Fraud Section (1991-1998), Chairman, Southern California Defense Procurement Fraud Task Force, Attorney General’s Advisory Committee on Health Care Fraud, Federal Emergency Fraud Task Force (following the Northridge Earthquake), Los Angeles Campaign Finance Fraud Task Force and acted as the Coordinator for terrorism and foreign counter-intelligence matters with the FBI in Los Angeles; Advisory Counsel, Independent Counsels for In re Whitewater (1997-1998) and In re Espy (1996-1997); Deputy General Counsel, Los Angeles Police Commission’s Rampart Independent Review Panel (2000); Adjunct Professor, University of Southern California, Department of Political Science (1998-2003, 2007-present); Associate, Davis, Polk & Wardwell, New York, Civil and White-Collar Criminal (1983-1986); tried 35 criminal, civil and arbitration cases to verdict; handled over 40 appellate cases in federal and state court.
Education and Honors
UC Berkeley Law School (J.D., 1982), Order of the Coif; Oxford University (M.A., Politics, Philosophy and Economics, 1983); Harvard University (A.B., , Psychology, cum laude, 1976); Rhodes Scholar (California & Queen's College, Oxford, 1976).
Law Clerk to Judge Thomas P. Griesa, United States District Court, Southern District of New York (1982-1983).
American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section; White Collar Criminal Committee (Director); Federal Bar Association; Los Angeles County Bar Association.
California (1982); New York (1984); United States District Court, Central, Southern, and Northern Districts of California, Southern District of New York; United States Court of Appeals, Second, Eighth and Ninth Circuit.
Sampling of Representative Cases:
Government Fraud/ Corruption Investigations
- Successfully represented defense government contractor in action involving claims of false billing and related qui tam action brought by civil plaintiff.
- Successfully negotiated resolution of investigation involving self disclosures on behalf of Ventura County Hospital of Stark Act and potential Anti-kickback issues.
- Defended and prosecuted numerous government fraud cases involving major defense contractor and their employees.
- Conducted internal investigation on behalf of Fortune 500 corporation involving inquiries to the Audit Committee and in response to an investigation of labor fraud by the U.S. Attorney in Los Angeles.
- Directed internal investigations on matters related to health care fraud, health care compliance issues and general corporate governance issues.
Anti-trust Investigations & Cases
- Represented company in International Cartel investigation of DRAM industry and handled plea negotiations with U.S. Department of Justice Anti-trust Division.
- Successfully represented individual executives involved in the DOJ investigation of price fixing in the airline industry.
- Successfully represented individual executives involved in DOJ investigation of aftermarket car lights.
Securities Fraud Investigations and Cases
- Represented officers of publicly traded companies for securities fraud, insider trading and financial statement fraud.
- Successfully defended Courtney Smith of accusations of violations of section 17(a) of the Securities Act, and obtained acquittal after criminal trial in U.S. District Court (Los Angeles) and in civil case which followed involving the SEC, with client being fully exonerated.
- Successfully defended executive of GenesisIntermedia, Inc. in cases involving allegations of securities fraud, stock irregularities in cause leading to largest SIPIC bailout in history; not only did we obtain a “declination” letter from US DOJ, but followed that up with reversal of $57 million fraud judgment on appeal in Eighth Circuit.
Environmental & Maritime Investigations & Cases
- Successfully defended both individual executives and corporations in numerous Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act and RCRA prosecutions for unlawful disposal of hazardous waste.
- On numerous occasions have responded to Maritime incidents involving claims of pollution of the high seas.
- Successfully represented numerous individuals and corporations in federal and state tax investigations and prosecutions involving tax evasion, IRS seizures, criminal tax defense, and failure to file.
Regulatory Fraud & Other White Collar Violations
- Successfully represented top ranking executive at Space Systems Loral in investigation of potential Export Act violations involving exchange of technical data relating to Chinese missile launch.
- Represented individual executives and corporations involved in Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”) investigations and prosecutions.
Public Corruption Investigations
- Successfully defended Fortune 50 waste disposal company in case involving in corruption investigation by U.S. Department of Justice.
- Successfully defended elected city officials involving charges spill of waste by a Municipal treatment facility.
- Involved in federal criminal investigation involving several members of law enforcement involving public corruption in performance of duties.
- Successfully represented executive at large international conglomerate, shipping company involved in “Pay to Play” prosecution by Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.