Special Counsel, Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton (2003-2005), Associate, Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker (2001-2003); Assistant United States Attorney, Central District of California, Criminal Division, Government Fraud and Public Corruption Section (1995-2001).
Harvard Law School (J.D., 1994, cum laude); Editor-in-Chief, Harvard Journal on Legislation (1993-94); Stanford University (B.A., Political Science, 1991, Departmental Honors).
Law Clerk, Hon. Richard A. Gadbois, United States District Court for the Central District of California (1994-1995).
American Bar Association's White Collar Crime Committee; State Bar of California's Litigation Section and Criminal Justice Section; Los Angeles County Bar Association, Criminal Justice Committee; Los Angeles County Bar Association Foundation, Board of Directors (2005-2009); Federal Bar Association, Los Angeles Chapter.
California (1994); United States District Court, Central, Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of California; United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit.
The following are a few of Mr. White’s representative matters:
Criminal and Administrative Investigations and Prosecutions
White Collar Investigations and Prosecutions
- Represented heir accused of theft of deceased parent’s Social Security benefits, leading to termination of investigation without charges.
- Represented heir accused of theft of deceased parent’s veteran benefits, leading to probationary sentence.
- Represented businessman charged with money laundering and structuring financial transactions, yielding favorable outcome.
- Defended accountant in federal investigation of tax shelter fraud, leading to termination of investigation of client without charges.
- Successfully defended local politician accused of conflict of interest and misappropriation of public funds.
- Represented merchants accused of sale of counterfeit goods, resulting in favorable disposition.
Other Criminal Matters
- Represented inmate accused in videotaped prison riot, yielding acquittal at trial.
- Represented federal and state defendants in cases involving drug trafficking, immigration violations, assault, sexual assault, and theft.
Representation of Professionals
- Represented physicians in Medical Board investigations, leading to termination of investigation without charges and other favorable resolutions.
- Defended accountant investigated in public corruption investigation, resulting in termination of investigation of client without charges.
- Represented tax preparer in major tax evasion prosecution, resulting in favorable disposition.
First Amendment and Defamation Issues
- Represented government employee in anti-SLAPP litigation regarding fraud investigation, resulting in plaintiff being ordered to pay client’s legal fees.
- Represented science blogger threatened with SLAPP suit, resulting in complete vindication for blogger and abandonment of threatened suit.
- Represented hotel owner in trial court and court of appeal in anti-SLAPP litigation over owner’s participation in zoning process.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in anti-SLAPP litigation in federal court.
- Advised numerous clients, including bloggers, regarding consequences of anti-SLAPP statute on proposed defamation suits.
Representation of Professionals
- Represented physicians in wrongful termination suits, resulting in satisfactory settlements.
- Represented physician in fraud litigation against perpetrators of investment scam.
Fraud and Misconduct By Fiduciaries
- Represented shareholder in closely-held corporation in litigation alleging embezzlement by majority shareholder.
- Represented court-appointed receiver in suit alleging breach of fiduciary duty against law firm.
- Represented real estate joint venture partner in suit alleging fraud and misconduct against partner.
Complex Fraud Litigation
- Represented insurance agents in series of fraud and professional negligence suits brought against insurance companies and agents based upon health insurance policies.
- Represented real estate developers in multiple suits alleging fraud and mismanagement of investments.
- Represented consumer electronics manufacturer in suit alleging fraud and misappropriation of goods by lender.
- Represented healthcare corporation in large-scale qui tam suit alleging Medicare fraud.
- Represented businessman in suit alleging fraudulent transfer of assets to evade judgment.
Securities Fraud Matters
- Represented numerous targets, subjects, and witnesses in SEC investigations.
- Defended studio executive accused of lying to government in course of SEC investigation.
- Defended general partner in a $320 million real estate mortgage case involving allegations of securities fraud.
- Represented individuals and entities in SEC civil case seeking disgorgement of invested funds.
- Represented businesses and individuals accused of sexual harassment.
- Conducting training for local government entities on preventing sexual harassment.
- Investigated misappropriation of shipping company’s resources for drug smuggling, successfully reinstating company’s U.S. Customs status.
- Conducted internal investigation of national charity accused of defrauding local governments on services contracts, and resolved government investigation favorably to the charity.
- Represented clients in wrongful death, personal injury, wrongful termination, and other matters.